Kestrel Mead Primary Academy is proud to be an inclusive school, valuing the individuality of all children. We are committed to giving all our children every opportunity to achieve the highest of standards. We do this by taking account of pupils’ varied life experiences and needs. We offer a broad and balanced curriculum and have high expectations of all our children. The achievements, attitudes and well being of all our children matter and are celebrated. This section shares the policies and practices that we have in place to ensure these aspirations become apparent.
What is SEND?
The Code of Practice 2014 states that:
‘A pupil has SEN where their learning difficulty or disability calls for special educational provision, namely provision different from or additional to that normally available to pupils of the same age.’
The Four broad areas of need identified within the SEN Code of Practice 2014 are:
- Communication and Interaction (e.g. speech articulation, stammering, speech and language delay, autism etc)
- Cognition and Learning (e.g. global learning difficulties, dyslexia, dyscalculia etc)
- Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties (e.g. anxiety, depression, eating disorders, obsessive, compulsive disorder (OCD) etc)
- Sensory and Physical Needs (Visual impairment, hearing impairment, sensory needs (e.g. autism, dyspraxia, toileting issues, physical disability etc)
Local Offer – How Can The Local Offer Help?
We can help you find services for children and young people with SEND up to the age of 25. You can start finding services by searching on this website.
In addition to helping you find services, the Local Offer:
- Helps you understand what schools and service providers are required to do for SEND children and young people
- Helps the parents and carers of young people with SEND find support for themselves
- Clarifies who is responsible for services for SEND children and young people
- Gives you the information you need to ensure your SEND child can thrive
Click here https://mychoice.leicester.gov.uk/
If you have any queries regarding Special Educational Needs & Disabilities, please speak to our SENCO, Miss N Rowe.
Family Information – SEND Local Offer (leicester.gov.uk)